Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SPAWN!

Spawn has spronged! Spring has spawned! the frogs have been busy busy.



Who'd have thought these gloopy splodges of sticky egg sacs could cause such glee?
yes, I am gleeful.




The frog pool was new in my garden about 3 years ago, after a massive end-of-garden clearance and construction of my girl-shed.

That year I reported here regularly on the progress of my frog-spawn, re-located in a deus-ex-machina fashion from a friend's pond.

The year after that there was no frogspawn. But there were little frogs coming and going.

Last year there was frogspawn but I failed to keep much track of it.

This year I plan to pay more attention as this weird stuff transmogrifies into tiny black commas, tadpoles, big black fat tadpoles without - then with - legs, little bitty frogpoles and finally tiny froglets.

13 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Yay! The spawn is back! I look forward to seeing the transformation!

Gledwood said...

ooooer!!

Dumdad said...

What excitement! I used to love collecting frogspawn when I was a kid. A few years back I found some in Bois de Vincennes and brought it back. It turned out to be toadspawn and only a few tiny toads emerged. And then they disappeared. The cat?

ArtSparker said...

It looks like laughter.

Ronda Laveen said...

Those are such cool spawn photos. Although, it looks like some kind of caviar salad.

e said...

I hope you'll take lots of photos. I love spring...

Barbara said...

Please keep us posted as to what happens to all those little tadpoles this year!

Megan said...

I am seriously looking forward to this. A LOT.

Baino said...

Love that stuff. Brings back so many childhood memories of potching in streams and bringing buckets of the stuff home to raise little froglets. We weren't terribly successful but setting them free was so much fun. Here the creeks are dangerous places, no crocs in Sydney but plenty of black snakes and bitey things . . I need a pool in a pot!

Giulia said...

It's a wonderful sight, Letty. I envy you. I love love love frogs. When I was little some mean ol' boys thought I was "girly" & that hiding some frogs in my bed & sleeping bag would make me squeal. Oh contraire. I still see their disappointed mugs.

I've raised many a frog. My last little frogs were eentsy when full-grown (thumbnail), had stripe-y "tights" & were named Frida, Charles & Diana (it was a long time ago).

When they were all grown up, friends sang 'Born Free' as I released them into a nearby creek. Shniffles all 'round. The End. (All true. But then we went to have beer & pizza & felt much better about doing the right thing.)

ciao-meow!

goatman said...

We get a lot of the little "peepers" about now. As I approach the puddle they stop their peeps and I cannot see them to judge size or type!
They may not even be frogs for all I know, perhaps peeping little bugs of some sort . . . but I suspect frogs.

After a long winter it is nice to see some life developing from the stillness.

Brian Miller said...

very cool...just saw some of these today as i was walking in the woods by the stream.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

spring...sprung....spawn!!!!!

ribbet, ribbet